- Ph.D. Science (Information Security) – The University of Melbourne, VIC, Australia – 2013
Thesis Title: Defining the Relationship between Information Security Culture and Information Security Practices
- Master of Business Administration (Electronic-Commercial) [MBA] Charles Sturt University, NSW, Australia – 2006
- Master of Computer Science (Multimedia System) University Putra Malaysia – 2002
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Management Information System) University Technology Malaysia – 1999
- Certificate in Counselling –University Technology Malaysia – 1996
- Certified Security Culture Practitioner (CSCP) – 2017
- Logic-based Therapy certification – 2017
- Certification in Training – Train The Trainer – 2017
- Reviewer, the International Journal of Information Security and Privacy (IJISP), IGI Global Editor, Journal of Public Security and Safety, IPSOM
- Council member, Malaysia National Computer Confederation since July 2013
- Member, Malaysia National Computer Confederation since 2009
- Member, Skill Advisory Committees (Printing Industry) in National Vocational Training Council, Ministry of Human Resources since 1994.
- Assessor, Accreditation of Prior Achievement (Printing and Computer) in National Vocational Training Council, Ministry of Human Resources since 2002
- Member, Teachers and Parents Association of Lai Meng primary school – 2006
Michael is part time trainer and a dedicated full time security professional with more than 20 years’ experience in protective security, which include physical, personnel and information security in public environment. Personable leader who comfortable interacts with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds. Resourceful and creative problem solver with expertise in building and protective security. Fully understand the need for confidentiality and discretion.
He is currently a full time staff officer of Home Ministry Investigation Department that responsible for providing investigation to security offences, and smuggling of migrants. Apart of that, he is responsible for researching and improving weaknesses of investigation papers, and standard operating procedures of investigations. Which included organize meetings with the office of Attorney General at all levels regarding investigations, prosecutions, civil suits, habeas corpus, offences under Security Offence of Security Measures Act 2012 and other laws in order to improve the laws. He used to be the team leader of legal department and head of protection personal security of home ministry that responsible for providing legal advice on laws relating to security offences, international organizations, Prevention of Crimes Act by liaison with various heads of government departments, implemented ICT security policies and procedures to protect organization’s information, developed and implemented security policies and procedures over protection of VIPs’ personnel security in Malaysia as well as in overseas and other major roles in the home ministry.
Michael is used to hold various positions in the past ranging from research assistant for the University of Melbourne, Department of Civil and Environment Engineering, University of Melbourne researching the Southeast Asian Regional Security, in particular how Southeast Asia countries manage and mitigate security threats with advanced protective technologies; Head of ICT Digital Print & Multimedia Home Ministry that review and recommend in defining and formulating of the security strategy to protect organizational information from internal and external security threats.
Furthermore, Michael also a senior lecturer for the following learning instituition:
- Centre for IT Advancement (CITA), Kulliyyah Information and Communication Technology International Islamic University Malaysia where he teach Security Personnel Management for Master of Protective of Security Management
- Faculty of Computer Science University Malaysia of Science & Engineering where he teach Information Assurance and Security for Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) & Bachelor of Software Engineering (Hons).
- Faculty of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics International University of Malaya and Wales – Feb 2018 to present
- Lim, J.S. (2018). Embedding Appropriate Security Practices to Protect Organisational Information in today’s Cyber Security Landscape. Journal of Public Security and Safety. (Accepted)
- Lim, J.S., Maynard, S.B., Ahmad A., & Chang, S. (2015). Information Security Culture: Towards an Instrument for Assessing Security Management Practices. International Journal of Cyber Warfare and Terrorism, 5(2), 31-52, April-June 2015
- Lim, J.S. (2015). Comparative Study: The Relationship between Organizational Culture and Information Security Culture Journal of Public Security and Safety. Vol 4. No 2:
- Lim, J.S., & Lim, G. S. (2014). Information Security Culture: Impact on Information Security Practices.
- Journal of Public Security and Safety. Vol 2. No 2: (pp 91-117)
- Lim, J. S., Chang, S., Ahmad, A., & Maynard, S. B. (2012). Towards an Organizational Culture Framework for Information Security Practices. In M. Gupta, J. Walp & R. Sharman (Eds.), Strategic and Practical Approaches for Information Security Governance: Technologies and Applied Solutions (pp. 296-315). Pennsylvania, United States: IGI Global
- Lim, J. S., Ahmad, A., Chang, S., & Maynard, S. B. (2010). Embedding Information Security Culture – Emerging Concerns and Challenges, 14th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems. Taipei, Taiwan.
- Lim, J. S., Chang, S., Maynard, S. B., & Ahmad, A. (2009). Exploring the Relationship between Organizational Culture and Information Security Culture. In 7th Australian Information Security Management Conference, SECAU Security Congress 2009, Perth, Western Australia.
- 2009- Presented a published paper, Exploring the Relationship between Organizational Culture and Information Security Culture. In 7th Australian Information Security Management Conference, SECAU Security Congress 2009, Perth, Western Australia.
- 2010-Presented a published paper, Embedding Information Security Culture – Emerging Concerns and Challenges, 14th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems. Taipei, Taiwan.
- 2015-Presented a talk on ICT Policy and Governance at Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science, Charles Darwin University, Northern Territory, Australia
- 2018 – Keynote Speaker – International Conference On Applied Science And Technology (ICAST 2018)
Training Course Conducted
- Security Personnel Management
- Information Assurance and Security
- Game Theory
- ICT Security Policies and Procedures Management
- Cyber law in governing the rights of consumers
- Planning Disaster Recovery
- Cyber Security Culture in Retail Organizations